One Kludge at a Time

Yesterday I discovered to my surprise that the gate at the top of the stairs was falling out of the wall! I’m not sure why I let the instruction manual talk me into using only drywall anchors for something that heavy. They failed after just six months of normal use, even without a kid hanging their weight on the gate as far as I know.

20130715-063731.jpg
So during nap time yesterday I decided to try a quick reinforcement hack of screwing the gate into studs instead, via a board on the wall. It doesn’t look great, but I found some reasonable pieces of laminate that sort of match the surrounding wood tones. Not bad for an hour of improvising! I like that it’s a good example of how the character of old houses is built up from urgent need and compromise, one little step at a time.

Leave a Reply